dif·fer·ence (dĭf′ər-əns, dĭf′rəns) n.
1. The quality or condition of being unlike or dissimilar.
2. a. An instance of disparity or unlikeness: There is a big difference in sound between a clarinet and an oboe.
2. b. A degree or amount by which things differ: a difference in height of three inches.
3. A noticeable change or effect: Exercise has made a difference in her health.
4. A disagreement or controversy: Let's settle our differences.
5. Discrimination in taste or choice; distinction: In this case, the law should make no difference between young and old